
Last night, Cicada and I went to the University of Utah, which is my alma mater to see the genius that is Edwin Catmull, who is the President of Disney Animation Studios and Pixar. The U of U is also his alma mater, so you know, we are bffs now.
I officially love this man. He spoke at length about why Pixar is the leader of the animation industry and why this has been the case 10 films later. Anyway, I was absolutely riveted. I mean, this is the man that basically created computer animation when he animated a human hand as a student at the UofU in the late seventies.
Cicada was kind enough to sit with me by the doors of the overflow auditorium and listen to him speak about issues that I have studied on my own for years, but have never heard directly from someone that was so instrumental in changing the face of the art form I love so much.
He spoke about the future of animation and I feel like we can all expect great films from Disney now that there has been enough time for him to affect great change along with John Lasseter who I also consider the other half what makes up Walt Disney, reincarnate. Both of these men together possess the vision and skill that made Disney's films so great, despite his faults, i.e. disliking Jews, but hey, nobody's perfect.
Anyway, I will leave you with a teaser of the first 2-D Disney feature animated film in 5 years, The Princess and the Frog, and the next Pixar film, UP.
2 comments:
The second is a little Danny Deck Chair, but I trust them to come up with something original, so we'll have to see what it is they're doing when it's a little bit closer...
Dan and I are excited to see what they do with "UP". That's pretty cool you got to hear him speak.
Post a Comment