Friday, March 6, 2009

Äääääch dür Lieben! Ünt my eye, it Hüüüüts!!

Several years ago I was still working for the company I currently work for. We were more connected to the local film community back then. We started helping out the director of a WWII drama being shot in Utah. It's called Saints and Soldiers.

There was a need for extras, so I gladly volunteered, no, actually I begged. It was so much fun to be a part of a production like that. I particularly like WWII films, so this was a real treat. When I got to the set, they asked me if I wanted to be an American soldier or a Nazi Soldier. Naturally I chose the latter, because every true actor knows that playing the bad guy is so much more fun.

I got suited up. I was disappointed to be in white winter gear because I never picture Nazis looking like that, but I figured they know more about what they wore than I did, or do. I waited around for several hours and drank a beverage or two, and ate some Doritos. I remember because I thought, I wonder if I am the first "actor" playing a Nazi to eat Doritos while in full costume, somehow I doubt it.

Finally it was time. I was told by the Assistant Director that The Director, Ryan Little, wanted me to be in a shot where I am behind a pile of broken branches, shooting at the Americans with my rifle, and eventually I get what's coming to me, being a Nazi and all.

I was set up with a 'squib', which is a pyrotechnic explosive that is rigged by the pyrotechnics guy off screen. He told me that I had to time it just so that I start falling back as he counts down to zero, as if the force of the bullet knocks me on my back. I was very nervous because all these people were counting on me, and it took 45 minutes just to rig me and everyone to get in position. We did a run through, and I timed it good, so eventually the director called ACTION!

I began discharging my weapon as told, trying my best to be a menacing Nazi soldier. The whole time I was thinking, fall back on zero, fall back on zero.........and as he counted down to one, I found myself falling backwards, and he fired the squib as I was hitting the ground. So basically I screwed the take.

People did seem understandably bugged. It DID take 45 minuted to get back in position. This time I was more than determined. Ryan called action, and I began firing my rifle. A pyrotechnic planted in the branches in front of me and I flinched. Then I looked down at my rifle to reload another bullet into the chamber as the countdown reached zero and....POW!!! The squib exploded in my left eye causing a cloud of white sawdust and shrapnel slamming into my eye with the force of a hurricane.

I actually still forced myself to fly backwards even though I was in a lot of pain. As the dust cleared and the director yelled cut, people started to notice something was wrong. They came running over and saw that half my face was covered in splattered blood. I'll never forget the look on their faces. Needless to say, The rushed me to the hospital where they X-rayed my skull to see if any metal and been forced into my eyeball. Luckily, no. They cleaned the wounds and stitched me up. I was told by the doctor that stitched me up that a few centimeters more and I would have probably lost my sight in that eye.

I ended up getting paid as well, which was never the intention, but they had to so that I could be on the payroll and they could pay for the medical bill with workman's comp. I got $75.00, for a day's work. Overall, the experience was more enjoyable than anything, and I got a nifty scar to show for it.......and this:

Here are screen captures taken from Hulu, which the film is available to watch for free on Hulu, which is why I was reminded of this story.

The scene is at 01:10:29 roughly, because I know you are all dying to see it in real motion.


Here is my skull X-ray................and yes, I asked if I could have it.


If any medical types out there want to tell me if that is a big crack in my skull, or if that is normal, I'd like to know. It might explain a lot of things.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

Oh my gosh. Your skull is massive! I think that X-ray shows massive craniumitis.

If your head were 2 centimeters smaller, you would have lost sight in your eye, I bet. Because your eye would have been that much closer to the explosion.

Anyway, Heintz, I think that you are sexy whichever side of the war you are on. And I'm sooooo glad that I married a movie star.

Unknown said...

Cool! Brinestone and I watched Saints and Soldiers over Christmas, and we watched out for you because Cicada told us about this scene, but we must have missed it.

PJC said...

It was a masterfully acted scene I might add.