I mean, what's the point of sharing that point with kids, so they can say, HAHAHA, he was FAT!......so humiliating for him. He's long dead, and I still feel sorry for him.
Anyway, what spurred this post is that Cicada's friend just posted a comment today on her blog about how I look just like William Howard Taft. Contextually, this is in reference to a picture of Cicada and Gulliver and I at my friend Pete's Halloween Costume party where we came as a family of circus freaks.

I told Cicada I wanted us to look Victorian, so she went to Wal-Mart and came back with a mustache for me among other things including fur fabric for her beard and Gulliver's fur, being wolf boy and all.
Anyway, I do see the resemblance actually, I really do, and it's funny, but the truth is, it's no fun for me as a fat person to be inadvertently told by a skinny person that I look like Taft.
I try not to be offended by the fact that I have 'let myself go' since I returned home from my mission a fairly trim, 180 lbs. I also make no excuses other than to say, it is a direct result of having a job sitting in front of a computer all day, and running to my girl Wendy to grab something fast and convenient for lunch. Oh and I am not prone to exercising, so there is that. I guess those all sound like excuses, and they are, but I see them more as the root of the problem.
I have never been as fat as I am now, and it's really hard to see pictures of me know and think, is that really me? Crap, my face is FAT, my gut is FAT! I don't know how people that have met me since I have gained all this weight view me.
Now that I have been 'freed' of my day job, and now that I am sitting at a computer at home all day, instead of one at work, I think I can actually eat better. There is no reason to run to Wendy for my food, because my new girl Cicada can cook, and lately we have been eating better. Cicada is actually off sugar and losing weight. I have made no such commitment, but I am considering it.
I took Gulliver for a walk today and It was great. I felt positive and encouraged , that is until I read that comment. Then again...
I really feel, much of the way our lives turns out depends on our attitude and the way we react to negative things that happen to us.
Maybe Taft got tired of being 'Fatt Taft' (I just made that up, I just realized his name is a anagram for Fatt.)
Maybe I can let this comment motivate me do really do something about it.
Maybe I could be compared to Jimmy Carter............Maybe.
-Murray Terreno Di Amore
P.S.
By the time he left office, Taft had lost 70 pounds.


4 comments:
Be you Carter or be you Taft, I will always be your first lady. And I think you look great in that mustache!
Oh dear. I'm really sorry, Murray. I didn't really think about how that sounded when I posted it. If it helps at all, I was just thinking of the face. I honestly did not mean that you look fat like Taft. But maybe I should just shut up now before I put my foot in my mouth any further.
I think it's the mustache that looks like Taft, since all we ever saw of him were head shots.
Changing habits is hard. Your wifey poo inspired me to eat better.
Oh, Murray, Murray, Murray . . . you sound just like me and how I feel about myself right now. Never weighed as much as I do now (granted I'm nursing and just had a baby, but whatever, I can't use that excuse forever). Why is it so hard for us to be motivated to lose weight? Maybe we should call Jenny Criag? Nah.
Post a Comment