I am a nerd, I just used the term tractor beam in a sentence. Here is the first of my newly realized loves
Puppet building.........yes puppet building.
I love and admire the art of puppetry almost as much as I love animation, I mean they both are about the 'illusion of life' and I never tire of studying that subject. If you could take a look at my bookshelf, you would know what I mean. My Dad questions why I feel the need to cart around and posses so many books. He will never fully understand me I suppose. Anyway, I never wanted to be a puppeteer per se, I just wanted to meet and get to know Jim Henson.
THIS site features puppet patterns that are all Muppet patterns without hardly ever saying the word muppet once. I searched the whole site while I am converting our video tutorials for our classes, and they referred to antron fleece as 'muppet fleece' which is I guess what certain muppets like Kermit and Scooter are made out of. I posted a link quite some time about F.A.O Schwartz's Muppet Whatnot workshop service, and I never did a follow up about the fact that Cicada humored me at the time and we bought one. I don't have a photo of it, but here is what it looks like using their service:
Actually, they don't have the choice for the eyes we got, they are similar but there is not upper eyelid. Someday I'll post a video of Gulliver and myself and the now nameless Whatnot. I know it's so uncool to be into puppets, but I don't care. It's not like I am living in my Mom's basement making puppets instead of going on a date. I just waited until I was married a couple years to unleash my intrest in puppet building. The thing is I don't know how to sew, but guess who does? And guess who does it very well and actually enjoys it?
I am a genius for marrying who I did. Jim Henson's wife Jane was a puppet builder and performer in her earlier days, that's so cool to me. I love working with Cicada on projects.
So anyway, here are my other new loves:
Architecture and product design.
My continued passion for all things Mid-Century Modern has me studying Charles and Ray Eames, and Frank Lloyd Wright, in my spare time.
Frank's Work
Ray And Chuck's work
BONUS SONG: It's about Frank by Paul and Art.




3 comments:
Here's where I get to brag. I got to visit Fallingwater a few years ago, in the fall when the leaves were all colored, and it was a BEAUTIFUL wonderful experience. I love FLW and any opportunity I have to visit one of his creations I take it. I have another brag but I'll save it for an email because it's confidential.
Also, this is how I know I'm not just a blog stalker and if we actually lived near you & Cicada we would totally be friends. We just have so much in common! Not that you would know since I don't have a blog of my own. Someday . . .
First of all, your wife's name is Cicada?! You are a lucky, lucky man though I'm sure you know it already.
I too have recently been struck with the puppet-building passion and after watching three muppet movies and the Dark Crystal (and then trying not to let them influence me at all) my friend and I have started a building workshop.
Pattern drafting is the hardest part so far, breaking down a 3d head into seemingly random 2d shapes in foam. It has been pure luck so far that all my guys have turned out to my satisfaction, let me know if you find a concrete method for it!
Good luck, AND DON'T SAY PUPPETS ARE EMBARRASSING! Or if you do, don't let that dissuade you at all, the world is waiting with baited breath for the next Muppet Srhow.
i'm so glad you mentioned the muppet whatnots. they really are the coolest things. my brother and i designed one for my mom at christmas. she loved it. you are in good company. :)
Post a Comment