I often get to rock Gullie to sleep as his mother works late at our nearby studio. I normally rock him with his tummy to my left arm with his head resting on top of my shoulder. I do this because we both feel it helps him adjust to his sleeping and it has worked wonders, trust me.
A couple nights a go I decided to hold him, cradled in my arms, as I realized I can't get away with that much longer. So here I am with him scooped in my arms lying horizontally across my chest, and his beginning to fade a little bit, but his eyes are still open. Suddenly I get the compulsion to tell him that I love him. So, I look him in his little eyes staring back at me and I whisper:
"Gullie, I love you"
Then rather unexpectedly he replies in a tiny baby whisper..............
"WhaT?"
(notice the emphasis on the 'T', he is a pro at pronouncing that T.)
I laugh a bit and whisper again, "I LOVE you."
"What?" he says again.
" I love you."
"What?"
This goes on a while and I decide that this brief little conversation just made my day.
Being a dad is above and beyond the most fulfilling thing that has happened to me. The amount of time I spent praying I would be able to have a family someday, seems like time well spent in retrospect. I look forward to many great years reliving my childhood and soaking in each minute I get to be a father.

4 comments:
What a lucky little boy Gulliver is to have you for his Daddy. You are great with him.
That's really sweet, Mike. These days I'm not feeling that way about parenthood so much. I've been working hard though to live in the moment and be very present with my children as I know these days will go by quickly. Thanks for the post!
It's good to know that parenthood can have such quiet, meaningful moments.
Also, I noticed you're getting Chinese spam. I got so sick of it, converted to a private blog.
Saule, I don't know if you'll get this, but I AM so sick of it that I am trying everything I can and if it continues I will probably go private. Lame.
Post a Comment