First I should say that sports and I have never had a good and healthy relationship. In fact, maybe the Hindus believe in some kind of special "sports karma" so I might blame that as the reason I sucked at sports as a kid because I was some belligerent sports dad in my last life.
Whatever the reason, I dreaded sports any in any form......except fooseball....oh, and racquetball. Anyway, I constantly felt the need to prove myself to the other boys.
So, the scene was a soccer field wherein I was busy trying, again to show the other boys I knew what the devil I was doing. The game was long and boring but as fate would have it, the ball came hurtling toward me. I remember thinking, this is it, here is your chance to show off to everyone.
I didn't wait for the ball to get below my waist, I jumped as high as I could and I kicked as hard as I could. I soon realized I had completely missed the ball and I was hurtling toward the ground. I extended my arm to brake my fall, the same arm I had broken by falling out of a cheery tree a few years earlier.
I soon realized that I had broken my wrist, which is an experience I can't properly describe.
I made my way to the coach's office and he put a cardboard splint on it and called my dad to come get me. After my dad took forever to come get me he finally said: where does your dad work? China?
This time it wasn't a clean break. The doctor told me I had a compound fracture and 50% of the bones in my wrist shattered.
So anyway: This is the result.

It wasn't all bad...
James Christensen drew a fish-man on it.
I got sympathy from the girls in my art class.
I taught myself to draw with my left hand.
2 comments:
And you say you weren't sporty. Look at your sports injury right there! And I will always thank your mother for throwing away that massive cast. Disgusting.
But did you keep the part where James Christensen signed and drew on it? That could be worth money today!
Post a Comment