Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Many Secrets of SPAM®



















When I got into work today my coworker Isaac showed me that he brought SPAM® to work so that we could have SPAM® and eggs. I don't mind SPAM® and kind of enjoy it but I have always wondered what the deal with it is because of all the jokes.

We read the side ingredients and this is what it says:

Ingredients:
Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrate.

It was the Pork with Ham that puzzled me and I said, what does that MEAN? He said well, they have a 800 number here....I said, I dare you to call....so he did.

Hormel Foods: Hormel Foods...

Isaac: Uh, yes, I have a colleague here that has concerns about what is put into SPAM®. He would like the words 'Pork with Ham' explained, I mean they come from the same animal.

Hormel Foods: Well, you know how Pork loins and ham taste different right? Well, it's like that.

Isaac: well, that makes sense...What about....

and then he asked them his own questions like about adding spice, which they do not recommend by the way....SPAM® stands on it's own apparently.

So he told me the details of this conversation and I said that was still vague.....I dared him to call again....and he did and this is how it went:

Hormel Foods: Hormel Foods...

Isaac: Uh, yes, I have a colleague here that has concerns about what is put into SPAM. He would like the words 'Pork with Ham' explained. He wants to know exactly what that means.

Hormel Foods: Well, Pork refers to 'Pork Shoulder' and Ham is just Ham.

Isaac: Well you know he has heard that they put like pig lips in there.

Hormel Foods: No, I haven't heard that one.

Isaac: Which ones have YOU heard?

Hormel Foods: I haven't heard any.

Isaac: Sure you have....everyone has....

Hormel Foods: Sorry.

Isaac: I want to read you something on the back of the can that concerns me.

Hormel Foods: okay?

Isaac: At the bottom under the SPAMBURGER® recipe it says:

So, Now you know another of the many secrets of SPAM®. This knowledge carries much responsibility. It gives you the power to feed yoursef and others. You weild a delicious skill that has far-reaching consequences. Please do not use it for evil.

Hormel Foods: That is just a gimmick sir.

Isaac: Oh. okay.

So anyway, I feel somewhat satisfied, but not completely. I mean, what are the 'many secrets of SPAM®'

I may never know.

4 comments:

Cicada said...

Now I want to work with you! I suggest calling hotlines as an FHE or date night activity some day. Of course, it would be more fun if we're supposed to be working while we're making the phone calls... so maybe we'll save it till we're both self-employed.

bedelia said...

"Pork with Ham," it seems like someone should have edited that before it got printed on millions of SPAM cans. After all its just a pig, and if you want to classify it as two different things shouldn't it read, "Pork, Ham, etc."

Jordy said...

Bedelia, you English grad you!

daltongirl said...

Ham has lots of ingredients other than hog meat--it sounds like a crafty way for Hormel to get out of having to put all the ingredients on the can. Makes me wonder . . .

Daltonboy loves Spam. Once in a while I give him a can as a Christmas gift to soothe him.