Monday, January 28, 2008
My Orange Period
In a strange, coincidental or quite possibly destined by fate... (please indulge my desire to believe in romantic destiny) Cicada and I have discovered we both went through an orange period.
What pray tell is an orange period you ask? Most people have heard of Pablo Picasso's blue period in the early part of his career in which he felt compelled to paint in primarily blue hues. So, yes he admitted that he began painting like this in large part because of the suicide of a friend. He was feeling 'blue', get it? See, art is not a complex as everyone thinks it is. That is a joke by the way, because Picasso is about as hard to figure out as women in general, but I digress.
*That last comment isn't meant to be misogynistic, I wouldn't have married a woman otherwise.*
Now, this post is really about our respective orange periods. And this is the part I really like best. We both experienced them at the same time. circa 2005-2006.
The way it manifested itself was that I felt an overwhelming desire to populate my surroundings with the color orange. I bought a orange lamp for my bathroom when I used to take baths.....yes, I am not ashamed of that. I bought a cool orange shower mat that Cicada threw away without my permission, but it was gross I admit it. I also bought a twin comforter with hints of orange.
I'll just list a few other things, litany style:
Brown bed pillow with hints of orange
Orange cd shelf that goes above the toilet
Orange lufa
um, that's all I can remember now...I realize they are mostly for the bathroom, this has no real significance. Don't try to apply any either, Freudian or otherwise, like, I wish my mother had orange skin or such nonsense.
Anyway, it also trickled into my art, in which I have a unfinished painting that is Cicada's favorite that I struggle to finish because alas my orange period is over.
I still like the color, this text is orange you see. I have not moved on completely. I just don't find myself thinking about orange as much as I once did. One day I will finish that painting and when I do, I will officially close my orange period.
I don't know much about Cicada's orange period other than it was similar to mine in that she felt drawn to the color itself. But that is enough for me, just knowing we share that.
So here is to you orange, may you live on forever in fruit form and color form and hair form.
2 comments:
My orange period usually occurs in the fall, when everything outside is orange. I usually celebrate by wearing my striped orange tie.
I had an orange comforter, orange pillows, orange bedroom accessories. Basically, my bedroom was very orange.
Post a Comment