Saturday, January 26, 2008

Date Night 2

So Cicada and I decided right away that we wanted to make sure to do a date night each weekend, which to me seems like a no-brainer but some people don't do it and I am sure that has something to do with having kids. But anyway as of now it's easy and it's fun.

The question remains, should date night mean that you dress less casually than usual. I mean, I have always liked the idea of it when you are married and might not have the nice dressing expectation. I really love that in the old days people would get dressed up nice to go to the movies. It probably makes me feel good like because it's like they are showing respect to the art of cinema.

So anyway, we got dressed nicely and we headed to The Riverwoods, because thanks to friends Hillary and Logan we had a gift certificate to Macaroni Grill. We made reservations for 9:00 so we had an hour to kill.

We decided to walk around the shops in the meantime. We went in a few cool shops like Kalidescope and a few others I can't remember the names to now but we got a few fancy chocolates at one that were pretty good. We really were just enjoying each other company as always.

We ended up in Borders because Cicada needed a copy of The Hobbit for her book club. Borders I have to say doesn't impress Cicada and I with their organization of their books. The Hobbit, we figured would be in the fiction section under Tolkien but no. So maybe there was a fantasy section, we searched all around but found no fantasy section. I finally figured we should ask, which we really shouldn't have to do. The girl helping us took us right to the science fiction section. When we asked why there wasn't a fantasy section, her answer still confuses me when I think about it. She said, Well, Tolkien created the fantasy genre so we have to put him in here. I didn't feel like discussing the semantics of literature genres with her so I let it go.

After we left Borders we came across a table covered with a lot of perfect snowball/snowman snow and Cicada being the spontaneous wonder she is, she started rolling a snowball and before I knew it we were making a little snow man, It was a lot of fun. Here are the results:





































































We realized after that we still had some time so we decided to go into the Hope Gallery which I kinda like but the art offered is mainly just Carl Bloch's work and a few paintings of farm life, but STILL, it's an art gallery. Anyway, we were only in there for like 5 minutes and they would be closing in like 5 minutes or so and we were already talking about just leaving and heading over to the restaurant and just as we were about to leave, the woman working there said this:

"Um, I hate to tell you this, but we are closing the gallery."

{So far she is doing okay. We are saying things like, okay, sure, no problem, we were just about to leave. Then she just had to add this}

"Yeah, because I'd ACTUALLY like to go HOME?" That's really where she put the emphasis on those words.

We walked out the gallery going..........wow! What if we had a lot of money and knew exactly what we wanted to buy and we were just about to tell her we wanted to buy a painting.

rude.

Dinner was a lot of fun though. I really love eating at Macaroni Grill with Cicada because we draw on the tables with the crayons they provide.

Here is the result of that:








































The waiter was genuinely impressed that we both could draw and I thought it was pretty cool that he drew Garfield the cat on our bill.

Anyway, I know we both really had a lot of fun and, here is hoping that we have many more nights like this one.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Isn't date night with no kids marvelous? Ben and I joke around that every night is date night since we always have our time to ourselves. So yeah, marvy.

Unknown said...

I love the snowman and the undersea menagerie.

daltongirl said...

Start a babysitter savings fund now. It will cost you approximately $5/hr for one child, and for each additional child you can tack on another $2/hr. This will buy you the services of a tweenager who will eat all your treats and sit your kids in front of one of your many TVs.

If you have the money saved up, you will be able to continue these fun dates (where, in addition to making table snowpeople, you will discuss how tired you are, and all the insane things your kids have done during the week) until your oldest child turns 11, at which time you can leave him/her home in charge, and say things like, "I'm not paying you to watch your own brothers and sisters for a couple of hours. I put food in your mouth, don't I?"

Or you can trade babysitting with another desperate couple, but the catch is that you have to watch their kids. 'Nuf said there, I think.

WhatEVER you do, don't try to save money by taking your infant to the movies. I beg you.

Jordy said...

I made a freaking huge snow man last week, and them some dirt bag kid knocked it over. I'm still upset about it.