Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I have gas. Well, NOW I do, but not last night.















Cicada said I should tell this story, and so I shall.

I drove home alone last night from north Orem and the following chronicles my adventures doing such.

You should know that the night before last night Cicada told me to fill up the Accord ("her car") with gas before I drove to work the next day. I resolved myself to do it, but I admit I didn't do it the next morning.

You see, the Civic which was once ("my car") allows me to get just below the empty line before I know I have to fill it quickly thereafter. I know this isn't ideal, but I can by lazy sometimes, what can I say?

Anyway, I ended up driving the car around during my day either not being aware of the fact that it was on EMPTY or thinking I can get it soon, you know AFTER whatever errand I was running at the time.

I didn't realize I needed to fill the tank until I was pulling off the exit to home. I remember thinking, well at least I am nearing a station. And as Murphy's law would have it, that is when the car started to die.

I made it within like 100 yards of the station and then it sputtered to a complete stop. My first thought was, I had better call Cicada so she knows these two things:

A. Why I'll be home late

and

B. Why I am still an idiot.

I reached for my phone to realize I had hers....and mine. The reason for this is because she asked me to hold it for her while she taught her Illustrator class. Which by the way, she did a fantastic job of.

So I turned on the hazards, locked the doors and I ran full speed toward the station. I figured I would minimize the time before she really started to wonder what happened to me. I came in the convenience store completely out of breath and made a b-line for the 1 gallon gas cans. I got one purchased it still out of breath, and then filled it up quickly at the pumps.

I ran again full speed back down what I thought was the freeway exit. It turned out it was a frontage road that closely paralleled the exit. When I discovered this I realized I had to loop all the way around because of a barbed-wire fence that I supposed was to keep cows and morons like me from wandering onto the freeway.

I finally got to filling up the car and I was concerned for my own safety as cars whizzed by me coming off the exit. I also couldn't help but anticipate some redneck yelling out his window at me something like:

"HAHAHAHA...You dumb.......flary filth, filthity flarn."

So I finally made it home to find Cicada on the couch...I think she was asleep I never asked....she's not feeling well so I couldn't tell.

I immediately lept into the whole story and she luckily thought it was funny and I felt no judgment on her part.....phew!

Oh, and I smelt greatly of gas because I think half of it got on me before it got into the car.

She kissed me anyway.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

Oh. My. Gosh. The odometer reads 432????? I always reset the odometer every time I fill up on gas. Usually the odometer reaches about 350 when the car really needs gas. Sometimes, depending on where I've been driving, it only gets to 300 before the gas light goes on. But 432? Are you kidding me?? The farthest I've ever pushed it is 400 and I was really proud and really scared at the same time.

I see I'm going to have to educate you in the ways of gas depletion in "my" car. I never depend on the gas gauge. I always depend on the mileage. That's the first thing you should be looking at.

I'm glad you made it home alive.

daltongirl said...

Friday we were driving around and daltonboy said, "Oh! We're out of gas!" And I said, "Yeah. I just drive around and don't pay any attention to that stuff." I had driven to Salt Lake three times and my car doesn't really get great gas mileage.

Since we were at Costco anyway, we drove over to the gas station part and filled up. 15.8 gallons. Out of curiosity, I looked in the manual to see how much the tank holds. 15.6 gallons. Which means something. I'm just not sure what it is.

Sarah Heder said...

I laughed out loud. Cicada was right. I'm glad you told that story. Funny.