I present...
_R1_CUSTOM-%5BFront%5D-%5Bwww.FreeCovers.net%5D.jpg)
I am a bit of a completest it's true. I have gone out of my way to own every Disney Treasures Series that interests me, which is pretty much all of them. So for the animation/Disney film enthusiast, you'd think a film that was a major production like this for Disney, could be released through this appropriate line that was created, ostensibly for adults that are film nerds, like me.
You'd think. But, you'd be wrong, SO...
Why has Song of the South never come to video?
The answer is of course because of its racist depiction of black people. We'll i've seen the film and can say that I can certainly see the offending scenes as being problematic, but here it is, 2009 and we have a black man as president of the country.
If we as a country can elect a black man as our chosen leader, the leader of the entire free world, then I say we can handle Song of the South.
All you need is trusty Leonard Maltin to preface the film with the usual, 'this is how people were back then, they thought it was okay to make transparent visual 'Tar baby' references and have slaves singing Zip-a-dee-do-da, and telling adorable white kids their crazy stories and such.'
BOOM, guilt free entertainment for all. All I am saying is, if I saw a film where Welsh-Mormon Americans were portrayed in a negative light 60 + years ago, I would be so over it, because really, time and context are everything................. just ask President Obama.
3 comments:
We watched this movie all the time when I lived in North Carolina. I had no idea it was racist when I was a child, I just remember loving the music. Now I know why I can't get it at the library.
We own a grey market copy of it on DVD. If you want we can burn you one.
That's funny. Dan already has Josie watching the other "Disney Treasures" like Donald Duck and all those other cartoons. She loves them! He insists she be educated on animation films. He even loves taking her to the movies when they come out. They most recently went to Ponyo (is that how you spell it?) together and she loved it! I'll bet you can't wait to take Gulliver to do stuff like that!
Post a Comment