Friday, January 11, 2008

How to avoid a bad movie by just reading the dvd covers















(This cover is actually a UK Cover and is just for illustrative purposes anyway)

Last night Cicada and watched Lucky You which we both knew nothing about other than Drew Barrymore was in it and that it appeared to be a romantic comedy. I had some reservation about it but I didn't mention that to her because I think it must annoy women for men to disregard a movie outright mostly because it appears to be a romantic comedy. I am actually open to romantic comedies in general but there has to be something unique about it to keep my interest. Like for example, a man falls in love with a woman that has his dead wife's heart in her chest. That is a movie I can get behind.

But this movie was actually not a romantic comedy mostly because it wasn't romantic, or a comedy. To be blunt, it sucked, and luckily we both thought so.

Before we went to bed I looked at the dvd cover and found exactly what I expected to see. There was only one quote from a critic on the back and it said this:

"Lucky You comes up Aces"
-Larry Somebody
San Antonio Express-News

Ha ha ha very clever Larry. I knew that there would be a quote from a newspaper or magazine nobody has heard of or cares about.

I don't mean to sound like a snob here but any movie worth watching will have a quote from somebody working for say, The New York Times, or Rolling Stone or something like that...even USA Today....I'll take it. But if all you can get is somebody that works for a San Antonio newspaper that is probably thrilled anyway to see his name on the back of a Hollywood movie......then don't trust it. Do your research and you won't suffer the cruel experience that Cicada and I suffered last night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I find Eric Snider's reviews pretty trustworthy. Looks like he gave this one a C–. But lame reviews on the cover are also a pretty reliable indicator.

Cicada said...

You shouldn't say "I was actually curious about that one, too" when you have reservations about a film.

MTDA said...

I WAS curious, I was curious if I thought it would suck or not. So I was still honest.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I love how it says it's 'a different kind of Las Vegas love story.' Like there are no "ladies of ill repute"?